WordPress plugins is one of the most important features of WordPress. Plugins have been used by everyone to make their website better. They’re used for everything like security, images, custom look, SEO, Social media sharing and everything you might require for your website.
You might be using many plugins but have you ever checked whether they’re safe for your WordPress blog or not. Many times plugin have caused many problems like blog getting slow, CSS broken or a malicious code in website. I recommend you to only use trusted plugins from WordPress plugins directory or premium plugins from trusted publishers.
Related : Add Google Plus Comments to WordPress without overriding old one
Many users never see the insights of plugin, only check features fit for them and use on their WordPress site. Recently my friend’s website lost all the search engine traffic because a plugin had disabled Search Engine to index his website, later I found that the a plugin was creating problem for his blog.
Whenever you’re searching for a plugin, always search it on WordPress Plugin Directoryand always keep the following things in mind:
- Description: Reading a description of a plugin doesn’t require much time and it gives a good idea of its features and usage.
- Downloads : When you inspect plugins checking the download count gives a good judgment that plugin is good or not. Plugins with the maximum downloads is mostly a good choice but not every time.
- Support Forum : Important! Whenever you install a plugin and not able to use it or configure it properly, then why did you install it? Always check whether plugin author give support or not. WordPress Directory also show that how many supports threads have been resolved.
- Stats : It also helps to know, if plugin is being rightly used by public or not. Check daily stats about the plugin. Downloads only show how much the plugins has been used but stats show the trend of plugin now days.
E.g. Plugin A has more Downloads than that of plugin B. Plugin A was launched 4 years back and Plugin B is just 6-7 months old. Then definitely the No of Downloads is not going to help you, stats help us that which plugin is in trend and downloaded more now-a-days.
- Last Updated : Do you get recent updates, security and bugs fix’s for a particular plugin. Updating plugins is an important tool to maintain the Plugin run smoothly in the latest versions of WordPress and hack proof from latest hacks. Many plugins in WordPress Plugin Directory haven’t been updated since years, be aware of this.
- Ratings : This is not correct to guess plugin status with ratings, but it helps to know other user experiences. E.G. All in One SEO Pack has 3.8/5 stars. And yes it tells that how much users liked the plugin.
WordPress Plugins: Installation GuideThrough Dashboard
- When you’re logged in your WordPress Dashboard, Go to Plugins >> Add New and then you can search for plugins which are present only in WordPress plugins directory.Search the plugin from there and install or get details of the plugin there.
This is one of the easiest method to install WordPress Plugins, if you can’t find the plugin from search, then use the next option.
- Sometimes you will encounter problems while installing plugins from dashboard then you can also upload the plugin .In the above image you see that there is option to upload on above menu. Click there, browse the path to your plugin where it is stored on your computer and click upload button. It will automatically upload the plugin and install the plugin.
If both the above methods doesn’t help you to install the plugin, then you can directly upload the plugin to public_html/wp-content/plugins/ from your cPanel’s file directory where your every plugin is stored. Remember before uploading the plugin, always extract the plugin from zipped folder and then upload it. After uploading go to Plugins >>Installed plugins and click on activate.